Food for Thought Friday...


Food for Thought Fridays might become a weekly thing...we'll see how the wind blows me on this. I was motivated to write this post after looking through my Grandmother's handwritten/newspaper cropped recipes which I was blessed to inherit so many years ago. Grandma was born in 1900 and some of these recipes are truly a treasure! Today I thought I'd share a very unusual recipe, at least it was for me, "Steamed Carrot Pudding". Judging from the coat advertisement on the back, I would say this one is from the 1930's. I did a google image search and actually found this picture on the http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Steamed-Carrot-Pudding website. You can check their recipe or go by the one I am posting below...


1 cup grated carrots

1 cup grated potatoes

1 cup raisins

1 cup sugar

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon soda

1/8 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla


Mix ingredients, pour into greased pudding mold. Cover tightly, steam 3 hours. Unmold and serve warm.


Quite interesting, as I never usually think of adding sugar to mashed potatoes and carrots. If anyone tries this out, please let me know!

~


1 comments:

  • Nancy McCarroll | November 14, 2010 6:12 AM

    Interesting and how odd to make the vegetables into a pudding. Those were the times of making do, probably what our economy will have THIS generation doing soon! Thanks for the recipe, and if I try it, I will let you know!