Petticoat Tails?? Or Shortbread Cookies??

I like to bake on Sundays. While having coffee this morning, I grabbed up one of my MIL's old cookbooks and while skimming through, I found this recipe for "Petticoat Tails". I guess I've lived under a rock, because I'd never heard of these shortbread cookies... so I did a Google image search and it's apparent these are a very popular cookie!

Anyway, here is the easy recipe from the "Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook" (1955):

6 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
2 sticks butter or margarine

Blend sugar with flour, cut in butter until mixture holds together. Using a fork, pat into a round cake pan and chill overnight. (I think I'll try putting into the freezer for about an hour and bake same day!). Using a table knife, score 16 wedges into the top. Bake at 300 degrees until lightly golden. (About 20 - 25 minutes) Store in airtight container. Makes 16.

I can see how these buttery cookies resemble the edge of a petticoat, can't you? Enjoy...


0 comments: